Kentucky DUI Laws
Kentucky, home to some of the most famous whiskey distilleries in the world, still has very little tolerance for drunk driving. In fact, the state imposes a prison term of at least two days for all DUI convictions -- and the possibility of up to 30 days in jail even for a first offense. In addition, first offenders will have their license suspended for 30 to 120 days; pay a $200 to $500 fine; attend an alcohol and substance abuse program for 90 days; complete 48 hours to 30 days of community labor; and pay all applicable court costs and administrative fees (including the cost of the substance abuse program). You'll spend at least 120 days in jail and have your license suspended for five years if you commit a fourth DUI offense within five years of the first.
Understanding the law is the best way to avoid getting charged; but if you have been charged with a DUI, learning about the law will help you plan your next steps and perhaps avoid certain mistakes. Learn more about the DUI laws of Kentucky with the following charts, information, and links to additional sources.
Kentucky DUI Laws: Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) Limits and Implied Consent
|"Per Se" BAC Limit||0.08 Percent|
|Zero Tolerance (Underage) BAC Limit||0.02 Percent|
|Enhanced Penalty (Aggravated) BAC Limit||0.18 Percent|
|Implied Consent to Submit to BAC Test?||Yes|
Kentucky DUI Laws: Select Penalties
|Minimum License Suspension or Revocation (1st, 2nd, 3rd offense)||30 days / 1 year / 2 years|
|Mandatory Alcohol Education, Assessment and Treatment||Both|
|Vehicle Confiscation Possible?||Yes|
|Ignition Interlock Device Possible?||Yes|
Note: State laws are always changing through legislative, judicial, or other means. While FindLaw works hard to ensure the accuracy of its legal resources, it's a good idea to thoroughly research the law or check with an attorney to make sure you have the most recent information.
Kentucky DUI Resources
- Kentucky DUI Statutes: Driving under the Influence (Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. 189A.010 - 189A.460).
- DUI Laws in Kentucky - Overview of DUI offenses and penalties (Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing).
- Ignition Interlock Device (IID) FAQ - Answers to some of the most frequently asked question about Kentucky's ignition interlock device program (Kentucy Division of Driver Licensing).
- Field Offices - List of Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing field offices, with addresses, phone numbers, and hours of operation (Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing).
- State-Approved Alcohol Treatment Programs - Interactive map of alcohol treatment centers in Kentucky approved by the courts (Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing).
- What are Kentucky's DUI Laws? - Additional information about Kentucky's DUI laws, including penalties and links to related resources (FindLaw).
- DUI Law - Articles and resources to help you understand DUI law in general, with state-specific information as well.
Learn More with a Free DUI Case Review
So you had one (or three) bourbons too many while touring Kentucky's famous distilleries, and probably should have taken a cab. Now you're facing a DUI charge and license suspension. While states generally come down hard on DUI offenders, having an attorney can make a big difference in the ultimate outcome. A good first step is to have a Kentucky DUI attorney review your case free of charge.